Thursday, February 17, 2005

God, save me from your followers!

Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have a new rallying cry. From Gary Bauer's "End of Day Report":

While Howard Dean makes his much-publicized push to appeal to evangelical voters, he might want to take a hard look at the Democratic National Committee (DNC) members he now leads. According to the New York Post this morning, the "hot" lapel button at the DNC meeting this past week was one that read, "Dear Jesus, please protect us from your righteous followers."

So which is it? Do the Dean-led liberals want Christian votes or do they see Christians as a threat to democracy? And, by the way, in a country that witnesses newborn babies thrown in trash cans and an increasingly debased culture, we could use a few more "righteous followers" of Christ!

Where to begin with this? Well first off, Bauer simply assumes that Dean can't be sincere in his faith. His evidence of that? The actions of DNC members. No allegation of this coming from Dean, nothing to show that these were Dean supporters, nothing even to show that these folks weren't themselves Christians.

Second, where is the humility in this? Where is the room to--dare I say--laugh at yourself, or tease some of the, uh, more fervent of your fellow believers? Heck, I'm a Christian, and I want a little shelter. More to the point, I'm sure there are a few folks out there who'd like to keep the likes of me safe and far away.

So, Mr. Bauer, I'll be proud to add this prayer to the banner of this blog. And I'll be proud to keep asking God for protection from his righteous followers--including myself.

3 Comments:
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Dignan said...

Thought you might like to see this analysis of the Religious Right from an insiders perspective.

http://lawnrangers.blogspot.com/2005/02/inside-religious-right.htmlPeace

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger Mary-Jo Weber said...

I think that based upon Jesus's reactions to the Pharisees and the money lenders, He would probably endorse that lapel button.

 
At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Ted Olsen said...

Huh. I don't remember Bauer comparing the supposed Christ-centered politics of Family Research Council (a group he used to run) with its Republican convention fortune cookies that said, "#1 Reason to Ban Human Cloning: Hillary Clinton." Surely if Bauer feels that these lapel buttons are worth commenting on, he must have mentioned some disquiet about the fortune cookies. I must have just missed it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home