Saturday, April 16, 2005

Craig S.

I am a Democrat of faith. My name is Craig Smalley. I am 18 years old, and reside in the city of Louisville Kentucky. I am a Catholic from a strong Catholic family. Our faith is very important to us. So is our country.

That is one of many reasons why we oppose the current Republican leadership. Republicans are trying to define Christian to mean only the way they see it. They are trying to define equality as intolerance and theocracy as freedom. There is no attack on Christianity. Only an attack on religious fundamentalists who wish to remake this great nation into a dictatorial theocracy.

Jesus said blessed are the peacemakers. Republicans call peacemakers weak and enemy sympathizers.

Jesus said blessed are the meek. President Bush and the republicans proudly claim to be the sole vessels of goodness and truth.

Jesus said blessed are the poor. Republicans say the poor are lazy.

Jesus said it is harder for a rich man to get into heaven than for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle. Republicans bless the rich.

I am a Christian. I am a Democrat. I believe in the goodness and worth of ALL people. I believe in a world where problems are solved with words, not bombs. I believe in a world where people are more important than wealth. I believe in a world where people help one another. I believe in a world where we protect God's precious gift of creation. Most importantly, I believe.

I will not allow Republicans to claim a monopoly on faith. I will not allow them to pick and choose which biblical verses to follow while calling themselves righteous. I believe pride is punished and humility and love rewarded. Let all of us, Christian, Muslim, Jewish, pagan, agnostic, and atheist stand together as Americans and embrace that which we have in common, rather than focus upon our disagreements. May God bless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home