Saturday, April 16, 2005

Jennifer B.

My name is Jennifer Brewer and I am a lifelong Christian. I was raised in the Southern Baptist Church and converted to the Roman Catholic faith. The following was the sole reason for my conversion:

The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. [They do not choose their homosexual condition; for most of them it is a trial.] This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.
(from The Catechism of the Catholic Church)


I am a lesbian Christian. I can change neither of these conditions. But I can change our legacy to future gays and lesbians, and I can help guarantee that we will leave an inhabitable planet for them and their straight brothers and sisters, and I can help to ensure their security in old age or illness, their right to affordable quality healthcare, their safety from illegal search and seizure, and the opportunity to come to their own understanding of God of their own free will, unhindered by the clumsy attempts of the state to chart that very personal journey for them. I can do all of these things, but I cannot stand by and allow those who are my brothers and sisters in Christ to say that by wanting this I am hostile to faith. I want this because I have faith, faith that human morality does not need human law to continue to exist. I have faith that marriage is the natural order of the human family, and thus can never be threatened as it is hard-wired into our nature and would continue to thrive even if it were outlawed altogether by civil authorities. I have faith that humans who have broken the law may have done so out of desperation or disorder, and that they might judge me as mercifully as I would judge them if our positions were reversed. I have faith in God's love and faith that in embracing that love we will eventually see that there is nothing for us to do except embrace each other.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home