Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Kate L.

I am Kate L. I am a (not-yet-ordained) minister of the United Church of Christ. I am also a liberal Democrat, and an American. Raised in a non-religious household, I came to faith freely and uncoerced through the urging on the Holy Spirit. The Jesus I fell in love with in the gospels is a Lord who invites. He never forces. He offers us God, and he offers us himself. He makes no deals with the powers and principalities:

Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor; and he said to him, "All these I will give you, if you will fall down and worship me." Jesus said to him, "Away with you, Satan! for it is written, 'Worship the Lord your God, and serve only him.'" (Matthew 4.8-10)


Christian freedom and American freedom are not so different. Both call on us to work together in community. Both ask us to treat others with respect. Both emphasize freedom of conscience. Both ask us to act for the greater good, not merely our own self-interest. Both ask us to take time to discern what is true and good, rather than what confirms our own prejudices. Both ask us to include our opponents in the conversation, so that all have a voice and no one is unfairly silenced. Both stand against the harmful exercise of power.

I believe that I walk in Christ's spirit when I live my Christian beliefs rather than battering others with my particular brand of Christianity. I show solidarity with Jesus when I refuse to use power against others to have my own way. I obey him when I extend his hospitality to all kinds of people, even those who see the world very differently from me. To the extent that graces helps me do any of these things, however imperfectly, I believe it is helping me to be a pretty good citizen, too. I pray that Christians not continue to place stumbling blocks on the path to Jesus by our outrageous words and deeds. I pray we pause and consider whether we are bringing disgrace on the name of Jesus and driving good people away. I pray...

1 Comments:
At 1:51 AM, Blogger Roger The Okcitykid said...

I fully agree - Cover me and I'll watch your back.

God Bless You

Roger - The Okcitykid

 

Post a Comment

<< Home