Monday, April 18, 2005

Katy T.

My name is Katy T. I am a Democrat of faith. I am a member of the Greek Orthodox church. I love God, and I revere the teachings of Jesus. I am a Democrat because of my faith not in spite of it.

Jesus wanted us to care for the poor. Democrats think the needs of the poor come before the needs of the rich.

Jesus wanted to heal the sick. Democrats believe in people being able to afford medical care.

Jesus said blessed are the peacemakers. Democrats value peacemaking and diplomacy and try to make it work.

In addition to my faith, I fervently love my country, a country that was founded on liberty and the separation of church and state. I feel my country is in danger now, in danger of having its traditions of liberty stripped away, in danger of having its core, the Constitution, undermined by those who put partisan politics and their own thirst for power before the good of their country. That is why I am speaking out.

I can no longer stand silent while politicians demean my faith by playing politics with Christianity. Jesus did not allow himself to become a political tool.

"Render therefore unto Caesar the things which be Caesar's, and unto God the things which be God's." Luke 20:25

I can no longer stand silent while hypocrites claim Jesus as their leader, but turn a deaf ear to his teachings.

"Is it not written, My house shall be called of all nations the house of prayer? but ye have made it a den of thieves." Mark 11:17

Finally, I can no longer stand silent while false prophets claim to fight in Jesus's name, but instead do the Christian faith and our beloved nation harm in the pursuit of their own glorification.

"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits." Matthew 7:15-16

I am a Christian. I am a person of faith. I am a proud American. I am a Democrat. I ask that religion no longer be used as a partisan weapon in this country. The Senate fillibuster should be preserved because it is a valued American tradition that preserves the rights of the minority from oppression by the majority, not because it has anything to do with religion.

1 Comments:
At 6:07 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Well said!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home