Saturday, April 16, 2005

Kelly B.

My name is Kelly Brickner and I am a Democrat of faith.

I live in Portland, Oregon. My grandfather was a Methodist minister and my father was a United Methodist minister.

On that long night of Democratic Self-evaluation that was the evening of last November 3rd I realized many things:

I am a Democrat because of the teachings of the religion in which I was raised.

I am a Democrat because I believe in doing unto others as I would have done unto me.

I am a Democrat because I truly *am* my brother's and my sister's keeper.

I am a Democrat because Jesus told us to "Love one another."

I am a Democrat because I have been called upon to love my neighbor as I love myself.

I am a Democrat because I believe that the peacemakers really are blessed.

I am a Democrat because God entrusted the stewardship of the earth to humankind.

I am a Democrat because I know that God has many names, speaks many languages, takes many forms.

I am a Democrat because I know that although I believe these things because of my religious upbringing, others believe them for reasons wholly unrelated to God.

I am a Democrat because I respect their worldview and whatever form of spirituality it takes.

I am a Democrat because I believe that the Unseen Hand is open to *all.*

I am a Democrat because God is Love.

I am a Democrat.

******************************

By wording these assertions this way, I hope to have someone say, "Oh yeah? Well those things are why I'm a Republican!!!" And there we will find ourselves, on that most elusive terra: common ground.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home