Saturday, April 16, 2005

Mary F.

My name is Mary J. Fahey. I live in Syracuse, New York. I am Catholic. As such, I am clearly not hostile to faith.


I oppose the use of faith to advance the Republican agenda. I remember the dilemma of John F. Kennedy, in 1960, when it was feared that as a Roman Catholic, he would take instruction from the Pope as to how to govern this country.


This was his response:

I believe in an America that is officially neither Catholic, Protestant nor Jewish -- where no public official either requests or accepts instructions on public policy from the Pope, the National Council of Churches or any other ecclesiastical source -- where no religious body seeks to impose its will directly or indirectly upon the general populace or the public acts of its officials -- and where religious liberty is so indivisible that an act against one church is treated as an act against all.
I believe in that America. I believe in the history of the Senate, and the right to filibuster. My fealty in faith belongs to God, my politics are with the America envisioned by President Kennedy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home