Saturday, April 16, 2005

Matthew K.

My name is Matthew Krell, and I am a Southern Jew from Hattiesburg, MS. My family is of the priestly line of Aaron, and I work every day to live up to my heritage.

I am a Democrat. I have been a Democrat since 2000. I am proud to be a Democrat, and I will be forever proud to be associated with the Democratic Party.

My Jewish heritage teaches me that the mixing of church and state is dangerous.

My Jewish heritage teaches me that the pogroms are never more than a few miles away.

My Jewish heritage teaches me that G-d is present in everything - even the laws of His own creation.

My Jewish heritage teaches me that G-d can be present and act without ever being seen or heard.

My Jewish heritage teaches me that I, too, was once a stranger - which gives me the burden to care for the stranger near me.

My Jewish heritage teaches me that a choice exists in our lives - and that, to be holy, we must choose life - but each of us must choose it ourselves.

My Jewish heritage teaches me to defend those without power using whatever mechanism is available.

My Jewish heritage teaches me to say that G-d sees us all the same, no matter what we may be on earth.

And my Jewish heritage teaches me that to go down any road because you think G-d told you to is dangerous. What if you're wrong? Best to not invoke the name of G-d in your politics, lest you one day stand before Him, and He say, "I never knew ye."

You may call me any name you please - liberal, idiot, elite, Jew, or any variation on these or any other you can think of. That's fine. My job, as I see it, is to live up to "three thousand years of beautiful tradition from Moses to Sandy Koufax." G-d willing, I must do that the best way I know how, and that is as a Democrat.

3 Comments:
At 2:34 AM, Blogger blueenclave said...

(standing applause)

You didn't see Dov Bear from last month, I guess. There was a debate on whether people today can hear Godly voices or not. DB came down firmly that G-d no longer talks to people, but that there is a constant "kol mishamayim" nudging people to do the right thing.

 
At 2:35 AM, Blogger blueenclave said...

That's d-o-v-b-e-a-r-@-b-l-o-g-s-p-o-t.c-o-m.

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Ol Cranky said...

Sadly, my first thought was shock they have Jews in Hattiesburg.

I don't know about G-d not talking to people (unless DB was limiting it to burning bush and/or a requirement for a verbal response). I talk to (yell at) G-d all the time. Sometimes He just sits back without a response (usually during a temper tantrum) and sometimes he responds (not with a voice, more like instilling that instant cringe and an urge for me to reply with "I know"). The dialogue may happen in my head, but it's a conversation nonetheless, is it not?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home