Saturday, April 16, 2005

Roberta K.

My name is Roberta Kelm.

I am a Christian.

I am a Democrat.

These two statements are not contradictory.

I was baptised in the Lutheran Church in 1959. I formed a personal relationship with Christ in 1976. I now am a member, with my husband, of the Episcopal Church.

The Christ I know and love bears little resemblance to the one that most Republicans acknowledge.

I do not appreciate that the Republicans have co-opted Christianity for Republicans only.

Nor do I appreciate that the Republicans have co-opted America for Christians only.

The Flag flies not only for Republicans or Christians. It flies for everyone, including Democrats, Independents, Libertarians, and Greens. And it flies for everyone, including Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Wiccans, agnostics, and atheists.

I believe in God, the Father Almighty. I believe in Jesus Christ, his Only Son. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Holy Giver of Life.

I also believe in the Constitution of the United States, in the Bill of Rights, and in the Amendments.

I especially believe in an independent judiciary, that is not subject to the wills and whims of popular opinion, but is free to evaluate laws under the aegis of the Constitution.

As a Democrat, and as a Christian, I will, with God's help, continue to follow the precepts of the Episcopal Baptismal Covenant: to continue in the apostles' teaching, in the breaking of bread and the prayers; to resist evil and to repent of any sin; to proclaim Christ by word and example; to seek and serve Christ in all persons, loving my neighbor as myself; and to work for justice and peace, respecting the dignity of every human being.

And as an American, I will continue to honor and respect the Declaration of Independence, which states that "all men are created equal" (which includes women as well) and the Constitution of the United States, the Bill of Rights, and the Amendments, which codify that equality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home