Monday, June 13, 2005

A Pastor's Heart

Jeff Sharlet of The Revealer is apparently also posting at dKos these days.

He links there to an excellent set of stories from the Colorado Springs, CO blog Non-Prophet. The piece that really caught my eye concerned an e-mail exchange between Pastor Ted Haggard of New Life Church (the US' largest) and a new member put off by Haggard's apparent desire to tidy the place up for national television crews.

It's so damn easy to make a mistake as a pastor, to react angrily when you should be listening. And Lord knows I wouldn't want my e-mail with a parishioner to be published. But it's hard to see anything pastoral in an exchange like this:
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 18:44:56 -0400
From: [removed]
To: [removed]
Subject: Re: Think Clearly

Pastor Ted,

Thank you for your response, I will tell you that I first emailed you based more on emotion than really giving thought to what I wanted to really say, for that I apologize. We have only attended New Life for 2 months and have really enjoyed your teaching. I do know that emails do not always convey what we really want to say.
If possible, perhaps we could meet some time in the near future just so we can clear the air and I can have a good understanding of your vision for New Life church. Please know that I in no way want to disrespect you as a Pastor or person.
I just want to know without any doubt that we are in the right church.
Hope to hear from you soon.

God bless

[name removed]

------

> From: [removed]
> Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 23:16:26 EDT
> Subject: Re: Think Clearly
> To: [removed]
>
[name removed],

I didn't like your note at all. New Life doesn't operate that way. My guess is that you are not in the right church. I think you need to look on.

-------


Read the full exchange.

2 Comments:
At 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee, I thought it was only us Pagans who danced as part of their rituals, now that the Shakers are gone.
MagentaMN

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger TS said...

Nice Blog!!!   I thought I'd tell you about a site that will let give you places where
you can make extra cash! I made over $800 last month. Not bad for not doing much. Just put in your
zip code and up will pop up a list of places that are available. I live in a small area and found quite
a few. MAKE MONEY NOW

 

Post a Comment

<< Home